The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) at Thomas Fairchild Community school consists of our Nursery and Reception classes. Both classes are taught by experienced, qualified staff who follow our own Early Years curriculum, which we have developed in accordance with the EYFS Framework and the non-statutory guidance, Development Matters (2023) and Birth to 5 Matters.
What is our Early Years curriculum?
Our curriculum is organised into broad themes, each linked to a high quality picture book. We carefully decide what key knowledge, vocabulary and skills we want our pupils to gain from each theme and frame this learning in weekly curious questions. We also plan for rich and varied enrichment experiences, both in and out of school because we know that pupils learn best when seeing and feeling things first-hand.
What is our teaching approach in the Early Years?
- A mix of engaging child-initiated and adult-led activities;
- A balance of carefully planned purposeful play and direct teaching;
- Exciting learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom;
- Exposure to a wealth of rich language through a wide range of books and quality, meaningful interactions;
- Caring, kind staff who model positive learning behaviours;
- Learning environments that inspire and excite;
- Support to manage emotions and personal relationships;
- Individualised, inclusive learning that takes into account each child’s unique interests and needs.
How do you get a place for your child in our Early Years?
If you are interested in your child attending our school, please contact the school office on 020 7253 9469 to arrange a tour with our EYFS Leader, Joanna Ichim. Our EYFS tours take place every Tuesday at 10am.
All children are entitled to 15-hours free childcare from the age of 3. If you are a working family, you can claim 30-hours free childcare. To check whether you are eligible for 30 hours, please click here. If you are not eligible, you can pay to top up your hours at a cost of £100/week.
We offer extended hours provision for our Early Years pupils, from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Before school wraparound costs £1/day and after school care costs £5/day.
Applications for Nursery - click here
Application for Reception starting in September 2024 must be made through Hackney Education - click here for more information.